The most famous location in the Zellertal is the „Black Herrgott“. From all the valley you can see the memorial and the crucifix of the Black Lord in Zell. It is our connecting point over the centuries. Even today guests and locals like to stay here. It is a special place with a special wine location.
Monument and landmark of the Zellertal
On our wine bottles, brochures and pricelists, and from our yard the view to the north, radiates very sublime, but at the same time harmoniously embedded in the vineyard landscape the monument and landmark of the Zellertal. On September 18, 1926, the idea was expressed by the mayor at the time, Georg Herr to build a memorial in honor of the fallen soldiers of WWI 1914-1918. It would include soldiers of the local communities Zell, Niefernheim, Harxheim, Mölsheim, and Wachenheim. Later, the community of Einselthum joined them in solitude. The memorial, built by the Black Lord’s God, should also express the unity of the Zellertal. This place experienced its historical consecration around the year 700 AD when St. Philip proclaimed the gospel at this point.
In the spring of 1927 a competition was launched, in which 80 artists participated with their respective designs. The award was presented by Dipl.-Ing. Alfons Brand, an architect from Worms. On April 29, 1928, the foundation stone was built „with lightning and thunder“ in the presence of master builder Philipp Obenauer from Mölsheim among others. The structure measures 15 m in height and 6.50 m in diagonal width and is characterized by its 6 pillars, which join together at great height and thus form a hall. In the interior of each pillar, which is symbolic of a parish, the memorial plaques with the names of the fallen and the missing are given in bronze.
The solemn inauguration of the honor of the Black Lord was held on the 15th of July. The Zellertal’s landmark in connection with our name on our bottles serves not only the recognition, but also the connection of our vineyard with the region. In the 1930s, Helmut Schwan had already printed the landmark on the first wine bottles, which was then still surrounded by vineyards. With the arrival of our current equipment line, the „monument“, as it is commonly known, was „freed“ by the grapevines and is now stamped in gold on our labels and can twinkle in the eyes of our wine friends while reading the label.
A Bottle of Zeller Schwarzer Herrgott – Riesling Spätlese vintage 1958. Even at that time the monument graced the labels of our bottles.